Dental implants provide the most natural-looking and functioning tooth replacement possible. When you compare dental implants vs. dentures and dental bridges, it’s easy to see that they are the best option for missing teeth.
A dental implant functions much like a natural tooth and offers key benefits for long-term dental health that go beyond the aesthetics of your smile.
Highly trained and committed to continuing education in all aspects of dentistry, Dr. Sal Lotardo places all types of dental implants at Bella Smiles in Riverhead and Roslyn, NY.
Dr. Lotardo offers full service for your implant procedure, from surgical implantation of the post to the placement of your custom dental crown as the final restoration. Our team of dental professionals in Riverhead will help you with the costs, as well as oversee all phases of treatment for consistency of care and predictable final result.
Dr. Lotardo will ensure that your implant provides long-lasting function with advanced treatment planning.
Dental Implants at Bella Smiles
In addition to an over 95% success rate and a beautiful, natural-looking result, they offer important benefits for the long-term health of your smile- and overall well-being.
- Bone retention in the jaw: the implanted post acts like the lost tooth root, stimulating healthy bone cell growth to reduce jaw shrinkage
- Permanent restoration: secure a denture or bridge for a stable restoration that provides a confident smile
- Normal diet and speech: a dental implant enables you to enjoy a varied, nutritious diet and normal speech for confidence in social interaction
Learn More About Dental Implants
- Benefits of Dental Implants
- Dental Implants FAQ
- Cost of Dental Implants
- Dental Implants vs. Dentures
- All-on-4™ Dental Implants
- Single Tooth Dental Implant
- Multiple Teeth Dental Implants
About Dental Implants
A dental implant consists of 3 main parts, the combination of which replaces all parts of the lost tooth for more stable dental health.
The post is made of titanium and placed into the jaw bone, acting as the tooth root. This is a significant part of the dental implant and plays a key role in maintaining a healthy jaw bone structure, supporting your smile, and reducing jaw shrinkage which can make you appear older.
The maintenance of your jaw bone also helps to keep your existing teeth from shifting and affecting the fit of your bite.
Depending on whether your implant is for a single tooth or securing a denture or bridge, the post is topped with an abutment that will hold the prosthetic tooth in place once all tissues have healed.
The final piece is a dental crown that replaces your missing tooth with a lifelike restoration that is matched to the remaining teeth for an aesthetically pleasing result.
Replacing One Tooth With Implants
Dental implants are highly effective when replacing a single tooth and have the added benefit of not requiring Dr. Lotardo to degrade healthy existing teeth for support, as often needed for a dental bridge.
The process will begin with the surgical implantation of the titanium post into the jaw. This will require a healing time of several months to ensure a healthy and lasting result. Once the gums have healed, the abutment will be attached and also allows several weeks for complete healing.
At this point, a temporary crown may be placed to restore function. The final restoration of your new tooth will be the permanent attachment of a custom dental crown. Dr. Lotardo will adjust the new crown for a comfortable fit and to ensure your bite feels natural.
Dental Bridge vs Dental Implants
When faced with replacing several consecutive teeth, choosing between dental implants and a dental bridge should take several key factors into consideration:
- Overall oral and physical health: a good candidate for implants has both good oral health and overall health, important for enjoying a healthy recovery after the surgical phase
- Sufficient bone structure in the jaw: Dr. Lotardo will determine if you have enough bone structure to support a dental implant
- Stability and longevity of results: dental implants, or an implant-secured dental bridge, will provide a permanent and stable restoration that will support long term oral health
Cost is another consideration when comparing your options. It is important to look at both upfront cost and projected maintenance cost or future replacement concerns. Dental implants will usually be more expensive up front, but require no additional maintenance costs and will provide a long-lasting result.
Schedule a Dental Exam & Dental Implant Consultation
If you have a missing tooth or several missing teeth, we offer solutions in our Roslyn, NY, and Riverhead, NY area dentist office. Schedule an appointment with Bella Smiles today.