Looking for a confidence boost for that upcoming wedding, reunion, or special event?
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dental treatments that our dentists offer today. It provides quick, economical smile makeovers for a more youthful appearance. The end result is a fresh, bright smile that can be up to 8 shades whiter after an in-office treatment. Bella Smiles offers Zoom! Teeth Whitening in our Roslyn, Nesconset, and Riverhead dental offices.
Professional Teeth Whitening vs Over The Counter Methods
A professional tooth whitening treatment performed in our dentist office provides safe, lasting results. The treatment is easy and only takes about 90 minutes to complete. These results are superior to those achieved with over-the-counter options. Even though those options are less expensive, over-the-counter whitening products do not deliver the same quality results. Additionally, it will take much longer to achieve whiter teeth with those products. Most people use them three or four times before losing patience with them. You must use them correctly and even then, you should not expect much change in the color of your teeth.
A cosmetic dentist with years of experience will perform the procedure many times, correctly ensuring that you get whiter teeth in less time. In one visit to one of our Ling Island dentist offices, your teeth will brighter and whiter. Choosing a professional to whiten your teeth is important for safe, consistent, and lasting results.
The Teeth Whitening Process: What to Expect
Your Bella Smiles dentist will meet with you to discuss your cosmetic goals and evaluate your dental health. The Zoom Teeth Whitening treatment takes about one hour. We offer it at our three dental offices in Long Island. We may recommend teeth cleaning before the treatment for optimal results.
Next, our team will prepare for treatment by placing a protective covering around the lips and gums for protection.
Your dentist will place the Zoom hydrogen peroxide whitening gel on your teeth and activate it with a special light for dramatic results. The Zoom light will penetrate the teeth to bleach the stains or discoloration.
We will repeat this process several times during the hour, whitening your teeth each time for a result that is up to 8 shades whiter. The specially formulated gel will reduce sensitivity while brightening your smile.
After your whitening treatment, your dentist will advise you to avoid dark beverages including tea, coffee, red wine, sodas, etc. We also strongly advise our patients to not smoke or use tobacco. By following these tips, the effects of your whitening treatment will last much longer.
Teeth Whitening FAQs
How long will my gums stay white after teeth whitening?
After a whitening treatment, some patients may experience whitening of their gums. This is actually a burn from the whitening gel, but it is not harmful. You can compare it to a sunburn and it will most likely go away within 24 hours after the whitening treatment. If your gums begin to flake off, this is actually very normal and simply part of the healing process.
How long does professional teeth whitening treatment last?
This will depend on the whitening agents we use. Different dentists used different agents and methods. On average, a professional procedure can last about six months to three years. Results will last longer if you practice good oral hygiene and dental care. This includes daily brushing and flossing and getting a professional teeth cleaning twice a year.
Also, we suggest that you avoid or limit certain foods and beverages that may stain your teeth. This includes coffee, tea, red wine, berries, and dark cooking sauces. For more information about how long your whitening results will last, consult with your dentist and ask about your options.
Do your teeth continue to whiten after treatment?
After a professional teeth whitening treatment patients can expect their teeth to continue to whiten for up to 24 hours. When the bleaching agents used in teeth whitening gels come in contact with teeth they begin to work, and cause the surface of teeth to absorb their active ingredients. After contact they work for 24 hours, bleaching and whitening the surface of each tooth that they come in contact with.
Other Teeth Whitening Options
Zoom Teeth Whitening works for most tooth discoloration and stained teeth, but there are certain types of stains that may not respond to a professional bleaching agent. Intrinsic tooth stains are stains that form in the deeper layers of the teeth. They are typically due to a dental injury and trauma, long-term medication use, excessive fluoride exposure, genetics, medications, or certain oral bacteria. Unlike extrinsic stains (which form on the surface of the enamel), intrinsic stains are harder to remove.
Dr. Lotardo offers alternative treatment options to permanently whiten your smile if you have stubborn intrinsic stains. These options can include:
- Tooth bonding: Your Roslyn dentist can use tooth bonding on teeth that have deep intrinsic stains. The bonding agent will conceal intrinsic stains after only one dental visit. The dentist applies the durable composite resin bonding compound directly to the tooth’s surface to cover discoloration or any other cosmetic imperfections.
- Porcelain veneers: Your dentist can fasten porcelain veneers to the front of a tooth or teeth to give the stained teeth a whiter and brighter appearance. The process will require some removal of tooth enamel from the affected tooth or teeth.
- Dental crowns: If a dental injury causes staining on a tooth, your dentist may use a dental crown to repair it and improve its look. Our porcelain crowns match the color of your existing teeth, so they can completely mask intrinsic stains.
Making Your Smile Brighter At Home
Whitening your teeth at home can be a convenient and cost-effective way to achieve a whiter smile. There are several teeth whitening methods and natural remedies that you can try in the comfort of your own home, while still maintaining good dental hygiene. The following are some of our tips that you can do at home to brighten up your teeth.
- Avoid stain producing foods and beverages: The best way to whiten your teeth is to prevent them from becoming stained in the first place. Foods and drinks with dark pigments such as coffee, tea, red wines, and dark-colored juices can all contribute to discoloration. We are not saying to completely avoid these things, just regulate the amount that you consume.
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly: An obvious one, yes, but brushing and flossing your teeth regularly will help to remove plaque and built-up residue on your teeth. Removing plaque buildup and practicing proper oral care will help prevent staining in the first place.
- Use whitening toothpaste: There are many different types of whitening toothpastes on the market. These toothpastes use chemicals and abrasives to help remove surface stains.
- Use a hydrogen peroxide rinse: You can use diluted hydrogen peroxide as a whitening mouth rinse. Just rinse your mouth with the liquid once a day after brushing and flossing to help remove bacteria and minerals that stain your teeth.
- Use baking soda: Baking soda is mildly abrasive and can help to remove surface stains. You can create a paste by mixing baking soda with water and gently brushing it onto your teeth. First, mix a teaspoon of baking soda with a teaspoon of water. Then brush your teeth using this paste. However, excessive use of baking soda may erode tooth enamel, so use it sparingly and track your results.
Remember, while at-home methods can help brighten your teeth, it’s essential to prioritize dental health and consult with a dentist for personalized advice on achieving the best results safely.
Schedule A Teeth Whitening Consultation
Are you looking for a dentist that offers Zoom!™ teeth whitening services in Roslyn, Nesconset or Riverhead, NY? Bella Smiles offers a wide variety of cosmetic dentistry treatments. A whiter smile can take years off of your appearance, boosting your confidence in both your social and professional life. We gladly welcome new teeth whitening patients for a quick and painless treatment. Call us today or schedule an appointment online anytime.