Bella Smiles has a dentist office located in Nesconset, NY. Our Nesconset dental office offers dental crowns to fix structurally unsound teeth. A dental crown, or tooth cap, is a common restorative dentistry treatment that will encase an entire tooth like a cap to restore it and protect it from further damage. Your dentist can use a tooth crown for cosmetic purposes as well! Dental crowns are one of the dental services we offer to our patients in Nesconset, New York.
Why Do I Need A Dental Crown?
Our dentists may recommend a dental crown for the following reasons.
- Tooth restoration: When you have a significantly decayed, cracked, or fractured tooth, a dental crown can restore its shape, strength, and function, protecting it from further damage.
- Tooth support: After a root canal treatment, as the tooth structure may become weak and prone to fractures, a crown provides support and strengthens the remaining tooth
- Cosmetic enhancement: Crowns can improve the appearance of severely discolored teeth, misshapen, or poorly aligned teeth, helping to achieve a more aesthetically pleasing smile. It can also elongate a worn tooth or a single crooked tooth.
- Tooth protection: If a tooth has a large filling, it may be at risk of fracture or weakening. A crown can safeguard the tooth by covering and reinforcing it.
- Dental bridge attachment: When replacing a missing tooth with a dental bridge, the dentist will need to prepare the adjacent teeth on either side. These crowns act as anchors to support the bridge.
- Dental implant restoration: A dental crown is used to restore a dental implant, which is a surgically placed artificial tooth root. The dentist attaches the crown to the implant, completing the restoration process.
Ultimately, a dental crown can address various oral health issues, restore tooth functionality, improve aesthetics, and ensure long-term dental health. The specific reason for recommending a dental crown will depend on your unique dental condition and needs.
Porcelain Dental Crowns
While we do offer a variety of materials to fabricate a dental crown, we regularly provide a porcelain or ceramic crown. This type of tooth cap is durable and will look more like a natural tooth compared to other materials.
Porcelain dental crowns are one of the best options for dental crowns due to their superior aesthetics and natural looking style. They are translucent and can match the color of your real teeth, so they blend in seamlessly with your smile!
However, it is important to note that the choice of crown material depends on various factors, including the location of the tooth, functionality requirements, and personal preferences. Other types of crowns like metal alloys, porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM), zirconia, and resin can better meet specific needs.
Dentists will consider factors such as durability, strength, esthetics, and the patient’s bite when recommending an appropriate crown material. Ultimately, your dentist will recommend the material that is best for you, as each material has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
Dental Crown Process
At the first crown appointment, your Nesconset, NY dentist will need to prepare the tooth receiving the new tooth crown. They will remove the decayed or damaged portion of the tooth as well as a small amount of additional tooth structure. This is necessary to create room for the dental crown. We will take several dental impressions and the dental lab will use them to fabricate the custom dental restoration.
We will place a temporary cap on the tooth to protect it until the final crown is ready. In about 2 to 3 weeks, you will return to our dentist office where your dentist will attach the permanent dental crown. They will make any necessary adjustments and secure it for a lasting fit.
You may experience some sensitivity after we place the crown. This is completely normal and should subside shortly. It may take some time for the crown to settle properly in the mouth which may lead to a little soreness. If you experience pain while biting, however, this could be a sign that the crown is tooth high on the tooth. If you experience this, we can easily fix that with a short follow up appointment.
I’m having issues with my crown. What should I do?
Dental Crowns made of porcelain can sometimes get small chips in them. This is typically not a dental emergency, but you should schedule an appointment to have it looked at. Your Nesconset, NY dentist will be able to fix a small chip. However, we may need to replace a larger chip on the crown.
On rare occasions, a crown can fall out if it is not placed correctly. If this happens, you should contact us immediately. We will give you specific directions on how to care for your tooth. We will also schedule an appointment and get you in as soon as possible. If your dentist is unable to cement the crown back in place, we will make a new one.
If the crown is just loose, please call us as soon as possible so that we can fix it. While not an immediate emergency, it is important to have it cemented again as soon as possible. A loose crown allows bacteria to enter which can lead to decay.
The best way to avoid issues with your dental crown is with consistent at home oral care and regular dental check ups.
Call our Nesconset, NY dentist office at (631) 228-8780 or request a consultation online to learn more about dental crowns. Our dental care team will help you find the right treatment to fix your tooth. Additionally, we are available to answer any questions about dental insurance and payment options.